Bringing dependents as an international student

International students maintaining their F-1 visa status can bring their spouse or an unmarried minor child (<21 years of age) as their dependent in F-2. Please note that dependents can enter the USA with or after the F-1 student but never before. 
You may invite your spouse or unmarried children to join you at MSU, Mankato. You are required to show sufficient financial resources and proof of adequate insurance. 

  • Complete the Request for Dependents/Responsibility Form (PDF)
  • Provide evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc.)  
  • $6,500 for spouse 
  • $4,000 for each child 
  • Passport copy for each dependent 

The Kearney Center will prepare an F-2 dependent I-20. The dependent(s) will use the F-2 dependent I-20 to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Check with the Department of State website for more details.

Print Article


Article ID: 843
Tue 6/6/23 12:00 PM
Tue 6/6/23 12:00 PM