Reinstating my F-1 visa status by traveling and reentering US

In some cases it may be advisable to depart the US and re-enter with a new I-20 rather than applying for reinstatement. You may do this by obtaining a new I-20 from the school you are currently attending or wish to attend, depart the US, apply for a new F-1 visa if your current visa has expired, and return to the US. You are not eligible for automatic visa revalidation. A re-entry to the US after a status violation is viewed by Immigration as “initial attendance” in F-1 status. As such you are bound by restrictions placed on new students, such as the academic year waiting period for eligibility for practical training and off-campus employment authorization.

Print Article


Article ID: 852
Wed 6/7/23 11:58 AM
Wed 6/7/23 11:58 AM