Employment regulations for international students

As an international student:

  • You may not work more than a combined total of 20 hours/week.
    • As an F-1 or J-1 International Student, if you choose to work more than a total of 20 hours/week, you will be out-of-status, leading to serious immigration issues including having your SEVIS record terminated. This is considered unauthorized employment making you ineligible for reinstatement.
    • 40 hours/week is authorized for summer & winter break for undergraduate students
    • 14 hours/week is authorized during summer & winter break unless you have a GA, TA or RA for graduate students
  • You need to keep your Passport valid at all times. An expired passport terminates your campus employment.
  • You need to request a Program Extension (PDF) if your I-20 program end date is near. You are not allowed to work on-campus if your program has ended.
  • You can work only on-campus unless you have authorization for CPTOPT, or an Economic Hardship EAD.
  • If you have more than one job, you can only work a total of 20 hours/week as an undergraduate student or 14 hours/week as a graduate student during the school year.


Article ID: 891
Wed 6/14/23 10:38 AM
Wed 6/14/23 10:38 AM